The best neighborhood in Los Angeles...Hancock Park

I don't care how you feel, I have to say that Hancock Park (in my opinion) is one of the best neighborhoods in Los Angeles!!
Today I had a total Forrest Gump moment where I just decided to walk out the front door of my office, I wandered to the corner of 1st Street and headed further south on Larchmont Blvd until I made it to 3rd Street.  From there I crossed over to walk through some of  the beautiful tree lined streets that make Hancock Park / Windsor Square such a unique and special area in our city.  I put my headphones on and just enjoyed how extraordinary these houses really are.  Of course I took pictures along the way.  I needed the fresh air to clear my mind and I just could have kept walking for hours.  Unlike Forrest, I did not cross the entire County, State or Country.... but it did get me thinking about what a great place this is!

Quite an affluent area I find that it is also quite a well kept secret from anyone who has not ventured into the neighborhood.  Filled with historically significant homes this area took off in the 1920's where architects such as Paul Williams, A.C. Chisholm and John Austin won bids to build homes in the area.

Each house boasts a unique style ranging from Mediterranean Revival, English Country, Tudor Revival, French Chateau's, Craftsman houses and American Colonial Revival, just to name a few.  It is commonplace to find a combination of all these architectural styles on the same street.

Hancock Park is really one of the only areas in Los Angeles that feels like a small town and it has been built to surround Larchmont Village which is the hub of our friendly neighborhood.  With a farmers market on the weekend, a variety of restaurants, wine and cheese, fashion stores and other small businesses, Larchmont Village is a calm oasis in the middle of a large bustling city.  I can't imagine wanting to buy a house anywhere else in the city.  To me the next best place where you can find equally breath taking architecture would be Pasadena - which is much too far out of the way unless you work there.

So what does it take to live in this fabulous neighborhood?  Last year in Hancock Park, Windsor Square and the surrounding neighborhoods there were 151 home sales with an average price of $2,198,384.
The neighborhood offers starter homes averaging 1,800 sq ft in the $800,000 price range right up to an average of $4,500,000 for estates with lots over 23,000 sq ft and homes with more than 6,500 sq ft of room.

A truly wonderful place to enjoy the scenery, a cup of coffee at the Bungalow, a sandwich at the Wine and Cheese store and maybe a Belgian chocolate or two from the Chocolatier.  Stop by my office at 251 N. Larchmont any day and I will be delighted to walk around the neighborhood with you sharing stories about the unique homes and interesting residents who live, work, love and play in our neck of the woods.

 





 




Comments

  1. Just for fun here are some notable residents of Hancock Park:

    Some other notable residents in Hancock Park.... Jason Alexander - actor, Antonio Banderas - actor, Kathy Bates - actress, Stacey Bendet - fashion designer, Nat King Cole - past resident; First African American resident; Harassed by Ku Klux Klan
    Eric Eisner - producer, Bruce Feirstein - writer, Ariana Grande - Actress and Singer, Melanie Griffith - actress, Sean Hayes - actor
    Patricia Heaton - actress, Anne Heche - Actress, Howard Hughes - past resident 211 S. Muirfield Road, Milla Jovovich - actress and model; Former resident, Marta Kauffman - American Writer and TV Producer, Joey McIntyre - New Kids on the Block, Sheri Moon - Actress and Fashion Designer, Manny Pacquiao - Professional boxer
    Pamela Reed - actress, Richard Schiff - actor, David Schwimmer - actor, Tony Shalhoub - actor, Nancy Silverton - chef and baker, Tavis Smiley - talk show host, author political commentator, entrepreneur, advocate and philanthropist, George Takei - actor, Rob Zombie - Musician and Director

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment